Monday, December 15, 2014

Starting Week 2

Today was the start of our second week at the Star Center.  Jason flew home last night to work at his office and get caught up on things he's missed over the last week and a half.  Sam was very sad to see him leave.  We are keeping count of the days until "Dada" returns on our fingers.  Only four more days, Sam!
Since Jason left, Sam is feeling a little less comfortable.  Sleeping was a little harder last night and this morning was definitely a little less regulated.  These changes led to an eventful OT session today.  Overall, Sam is doing really well.  Kids were playing around him in the gym and he didn't seem to feel overly startled by their presence.  He did have a hard time focusing on tasks for very long and cried easily.  I learned a lot from watching Lindsay help Sam regulate his own emotions during those times of crying.  I have A LOT to learn about how I can help Sam.  I probably have as much to learn as Sam does.  It's quite overwhelming to think that I will have to help Sam regulate his emotions, especially on days when I don't feel all that regulated either.  Good thing it's a marathon and not a sprint.
After therapy today, we came back to the apartment and changed into our snow gear.  Sam absolutely loves the snow!  He even got on the snow pull toy and let me pull him around.  By the time we were done playing, we were both out of breath!  The snow seems to be melting quickly with the 40 degree and sunny days.  I am going to have one disappointed boy on my hands when we go outside to find the snow has melted.  Our January visit will probably be full of snow play.

No comments: